Monday, May 13, 2013

Why do so Many People not Work on Legs?



I am now on my 2nd Week of working out after 10+ years away from weights. I am doing All Pro's Beginner Full Body routine and so far I am loving it. One thing that I have noticed though is that I just don't see anyone in my gym doing Squats and have only seen 1 guy doing leg Press. Everyone seems so obsessed with having a big upper body and just seem to neglect lower body work. Is this something just at my gym or is this seen at alot of gyms? I just don't see any reason not to work your entire body.

 
Simply put, working your legs effectively is very hard and very uncomfortable; some would even say painful. Your legs are comprised of the largest muscles in your body and when you work them, your lungs struggle to bring in enough oxygen, your heart accelerates to pump blood to working muscles, and lactic acid and other waste products build up causing a painful "burn." Most people simply don't want to do it and see little reason to go through the suffering.

What they don't realize is all of that suffering produces wonderful results. Heart and lung function improves as much as with most cardio work. You burn a boatload of calories leading to greater leanness. The effort and burn leads to greater systemic release of both testosterone and growth hormone, which aids with overall development, not just the legs. The aesthetic balance of your physique improves dramatically and sports performance sky rockets.

Some say, they run or play basketball and so don't need to work legs. But unless you're a track cyclist or ski racer, you need to get into the weight room and pay the price.

No comments:

Post a Comment