Friday, May 3, 2013

Should I do Upright Rows?


I keep reading conflicting things about UR's; Some say they are not worth doing as they can damage the rotator, while others say that if done properly, they are a must do.
What are your thoughts?

 

The first weight lifting exercise I ever learned, from my dad by-the-way, was the upright row. It has been my "go to" shoulder exercise for the past 41 years. Some say my delts are my best body part and this exercise is one of the reasons why.
 
Fortunately, it has never caused me pain or problems. Unfortunately, for most people, I would not recommend this exercise, since it can cause rotator cuff impingement. Often, irreversible damage can occur without any pain. Once the pain "kicks in," it's too late. I have just been lucky.

Dumbbell upright rows do offer a less restrictive movement, which may lessen any impingement, but the danger is still there.

With the dozens of very good shoulder exercises available, you should be able to construct an excellent program without upright rows.

No comments:

Post a Comment