Monday, October 21, 2013

When Should I Eat my Carbs?

I am a firm believer that every meal should have a balance of all three macronutruents.  I am not a strict adherent of "Zone Diet" percentages, but I do think that ther are hormonal advantages to including protein, carbs and fats in every feeding.

As implied by that statement, I never recommend going super low or no carb.  It just makes you miserable, makes training with intensity much harder, and is just not necessary for shedding fat.

That said, the most important time to get adequate carbs into your system is post-workout.  There really is a window of opportunity, at the cellular level, where you can more rapidly and completely replenish muscle glycogen to set you up for your next work out.

Personally, my biggest infusion of daily carbohydrate intake is immediately post-workout, with a second dose as part of  regular meal about an hour later.

No comments:

Post a Comment