Wednesday, October 16, 2013

What Supplements Do I Take and Why?

 
Before answering the question, I'd like to provide a few caveats.  Supplement use can be expensive, supplements don't always work as advertised, and they can sometimes be outright dangerous or unhealthy.

First, the supplements I will be listing seem to work for me and their benefit outweighs their cost, to me.  Others may not have the same reactions to the supplements that I do and their ability to pay for them may differ from mine.

Second, I am taking dosages which my research and practice says are safe for me.  Others need to do their own research on appropriate dosages and satisfy for themselves that the supplements are safe.  I will say that nothing I take is on the USADA, IOC, or NCAA banned product list, at this time. I never take anything that directly effects the endocrine system.

Third, some of the products I use have good clinical results backing their efficacy.  Others have more mixed results, but they "seem" to work for me.

Fourth, and most importantly, until you have your workout/training protocols and day-to-day diet "nailed," don't bother with supplements.  You'll be wasting your money.  Collectively, these supplements provide a 5-10% improvement to my efforts, in my subjective estimation.  As well, unless you are a competitive athlete, most supplements just don't make sense.  Eat right and exercise consistently for 90%+ of the results you're looking for.

That said:

At breakfast I take:
  1. Whey (24 grams of protein) to promote muscle growth/good clinical backing
  2. Beta Alanine (1.5 grams) to promote muscle growth and buffer lactic acid for extended sets/ good to excellent clinical backing
  3. Quercetin (800 mgs) to promote cellular energy and anti-oxidant effects/ mixed clinical backing
  4. CoQ10 (ubiquinal 100 mgs) to promote mental functioning and cellular energy/mixed clinical backing
  5. Vitamin D3 (1000 IUs) for overall health and immune system functioning/ fair clinical backing
  6. SMS (1000 mgs) to promote joint and tendon health and healing/ little clinical backing
  7. Multi-vitamin/mineral tablet (brand and dosages vary) dietary insurance/ mixed clinical backing

Pre-workout I take:
  1. BCAA's (7.5 grams) to promote muscle growth, provide immediate energy, and reduce exercise induced catabolism and cortisol production/ good clinical backing
  2. Whey (36 grams of protein)
  3. Caffeine (80 milgrams) to provide mental focus and energy/ good clinical backing
  4. Beta Alanine (1.5 grams)
  5. Fish oil (1000 mgs) for overall health/ good clinical backing
  6. Creatine (5 grams) to increase muscle growth and immediate power production/ excellent clinical backing

Post workout I take:
  1. Whey (36 grams)
  2. Creatine (5 grams)
  3. Magnesium to balance electrolytes lost during exercise and improve immune function/ good clinical backing
  4. Salt (.25 tsp) to restore electrolyte balance/ good clinical backing
  5. BCAAs (7.5 grams)

With my evening/bedtime meal I take:
  1. Casein (24 grams of protein) to prevent overnight muscle catabolism/ good clinical backing
  2. BCAA's (7.5 grams)
  3. D3 (1000 IUs)
  4. CoQ10 (100 mgs)
  5. SMS (1000 mgs)
  6. Quercetin (800 mgs)
  7. Fish oil (1000 mgs)
  8. ZMA (200 mgs) to promote high quality sleep/ good clinical backing
As you can see that's a lot of stuff.  I'm spending over $200 per month on supplements.  For most folks, it's just not worth it.  Buy better groceries.

If you must do something, I'd start with the whey, add the creatine, then D3,  then the fish oil.



No comments:

Post a Comment