Friday, November 1, 2013

Should I be using Creatine

Creatine is one of the most extensively researched supplements on the market and its safety and effectiveness is now unquestioned.  At the same time, just like with anything else, there's going to be a "bell curve" of responsiveness.  Some will have an incredible response (I gained 10 solid pounds and my lifts all went up 15-20% during my first month of use, after an almost 2 year plateau) while others may not respond much at all. Most will fall somewhere in the middle and be very pleased.

Creatine will allow you to get several more reps per set because of its ability to replenish ATP in the working muscle.  This translates into immediate strength gains as well as increased work and resultant improvement in both strength and size over time.

I don't recommend one form of creatine over another, and have been more than satisfied with plain old creatine monohydrate. 

Since one of the functions of creatine is to pull more water into the muscle cells, increased water consumption is recommended as you load or when you first start using it.  This will also help to alleviate any stomach distress and minimize cramping, a couple of the side effects that were reported frequently when the product first came on the market.

I don't think a load phase is necessary and I don't think you need to cycle off.

If you can afford it, creatine is at the very top of list of  supplements I would recommend.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment